Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Our last two weeks in pictures...

I know I've fallen off the grid these past two weeks. I know you all assume I've been lost at sea or some such thing, and I don't blame you. I've done an abysmal job of recording our travels here.

And I'll be honest: the situation isn't going to start improving today. No, we're still on the road, knee-deep in laundry and take-out dinners and itineraries and new states every few days. And by the time I've updated Pit Stops for Kids and gotten everyone to bed, it's all I can do to stay awake long enough to find my bed each night. And it's a world of fun. But also exhausting on a core-deep level. As all of you know from your own travel experiences, I'm sure.

But I'm itching to record these weeks of travel with my family properly. I can't wait to get started. I have loads to say. In the meantime, I'll give you just a tiny glimpse of what we've been doing.

We started in Portland OR, where we reviewed the Portland Spirit river cruise:


We then spent two wonderful days with friends in Spokane before saying goodbye to our Never-True Dad (boo to livings that demands to be made!) and continuing on with the Never-True Grands to Glacier National Park:



From there, we drove south to Big Sky, Montana, where we reviewed the kid-friendly options at Big Sky Resort (which was omgawesome):



And from there, we drove to Yellowstone and Grand Teton, which looked like (but was not limited to) this:



You'll all be happy to hear we did laundry at Grand Teton. That was a big event. Then we went on to Park City, Utah, where we reviewed the Westgate, and they must have mistaken us for a state dignitary or else Brittney Spears, because we got the Presidential Suite, which was pretty sweet. We had five TVs and four fireplaces. Honestly, who needs that? No one...but that doesn't mean you don't like it when it falls in your lap for 24 hours. We only turned on one TV one time, and I felt wasteful. Here's our view:



From there, we headed south to Zion National Park, where we still are today, hiking through canyons and wading in rivers. We've gone from approximately 60 degree highs to 101 degree highs, from alpine forest to high desert, to out-and-out whoa-it's-hot desert, from sea-level to over 9000 feet elevation. We've dipped into big cities and driven through tiny towns. It's been amazing to see the country by car (and I'm not just saying that because I can't afford airfare these days). I think the kids have found every license plate except Hawaii. We're optimistic, though. When we found District of Columbia the kids whooped so loudly the people behind us thought we'd seen a grizzly bear beside the road. Yes, really.

On that note, until next time, internetz, and I have to say I don't quite know when that will be. I'll probably be reporting from Southern California by then.

(And sorry for the limited photos and the likely spelling errors. Sadly, I only have limited internet connection and time!)

blog comments powered by Disqus