Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Merry Christmas! (What? Isn't it over?)

Wait. We have two more days to go?! But if my kids are activity-less for more than thirty seconds, they disolve like goo into a pile of wrestling, shouting, crazed little people who cannot possibly contain their holiday excitement. Thirty seconds, people. You think I'm exaggerating? I could set a timer by it.

I seemed to have this same problem last year, too.

And it's not as if I haven't tried to wear them out. They've been chasing after their little cousin Homer (who is now running around on his own two little feet but still the happiest baby on the block), they've been playing football, I've even put them to work cleaning and cooking. Today we're skiing. Tomorrow we're sledding. Every day we're running in the morning, and I say we, because now that he's off school, Calvin begs to come with me. I have mixed feelings about my personal sanctuary that is open road and running shoes being invaded thus.

It's only the first Tuesday of Christmas break and I'm already exhausted in a sore muscles, contented mind sort of way.

And tonight we're making hot cocoa and driving around to look at Christmas lights and tomorrow night we're going out on the town, and my my sister and brother-in-law, having just barely escaped Massachusetts between snowstorms, are gamely doing all of these things too, because we were raised to believe 'fresh air' is better than penicillin and coffee combined. And yes, we know this is very annoying to the general population.

At least all my shopping is done, because setting foot in just one more store would surely bring me to my knees. But if I don't surface here again, Merry Christmas everyone! Try to survive to the 25th.

Of course, after that, we still have eleven more days of school break here. Eleven. To quote the great Ricky Bobby of Talladega Nights, sweet baby Jesus, help me.





From top to bottom: Nate and Calvin climbing at Double Arch in Arches National Park, my father with the boys overlooking a vista of Grand Canyon National Park, and Toby exploring a ruin at Mesa Verde National Park. Summer 2009.
blog comments powered by Disqus