Sunday, December 27, 2009

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, so come on in, hang up your pea-green sweater and take a load off.

So how is everyone? Survive the holiday?

Santa came to our house as scheduled, much to the surprise of some and relief of others.

Undisputable evidence:



Why yes, that entire stocking rack is leaning precariously to one side. Thanks for noticing. But no matter: three days later, my kids are all still happily engaged in building Lego kingdoms and playing DS games, and I’m ready to get back to business as usual around here. (Can I take the tree down yet?)

To that end, I’m excited to announce a brand new series here at Never-True Tales.

Drumroll, please.

What is the onomatopoeic version of a drum roll? I’m going to go with thummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm….






I’m calling it Won’t You Be My Neighbor, which is bound to be breaking some sort of copyright law. So don’t sue me, Mr. Rogers. Wait: Mr. Rogers…dead or alive? Ohhh. Dead. That’s a shame. But I digress. Here’s how the new series works:

Won’t You Be My Neighbor is all about getting to know other voices in the blogosphere. On the right-hand side of your screen, I have a list of favorite bloggers I read regularly, and frankly, I think they’re worthy of your readership, too. To that end, I’ve invited them to come guest write at Never-True Tales, so you can get to know them.*

Starting the second week of January, I’ll be hosting a guest blogger here every Friday for at least a month. If you have a blog of your own, I encourage you to do the same: invite the writers on your favorite blogger list to guest write in your blog (you can link them to this post with the button above or the smaller one now residing in my sidebar). After they guest post for you, encourage them to keep the ball rolling with their own favorites list, and so on and so forth.

Why should you bother? I’ll tell you why! With every guest writer you host, you’ll gain a new audience. Plus, you’ll get to lounge about eating bon-bons and watching soap operas as your blog practically writes itself. (Once a week, anyway.) Every Friday, I’ll have a round-up linky here at Never-True Tales you can sign to promote both your blog and your guest writer. This will coordinate nicely with Twitter’s #followFriday, and will garner your blog some linky love, as they say.

I tend to make things complicated, but this really is not. Here’s what you do in three easy steps:

As a blog host, you need to:

1. Invite writers on your favorites list to guest post on your blog.

2. Publish your guest posts once a week (using the Won’t You Be My Neighbor button...you can find it in the sidebar, remember?), then sign the linky on Friday.

3. Kick back and eat bon-bons.

When you’re a guest blogger:

1. Write your guest post for your host blog. On the day it goes live, be sure to leave the lights on at your place! In other words, let your readers know where you’ve gone and why. (Use the button! See a theme here? It’s multi-purpose!)

2. Pay it forward. Invite the blogs on your blog roll to guest post in your blog.

3. Kick back and eat bon-bons.

A few clarifications:

1. What your guest blogger writes about is up to you (and them). I will have no set theme or prompt for my guest bloggers; you can do the same, or assign a subject matter.

2. The day of the week your guest blogger posts is up to you (and them). Just sign the linky on Friday.

3. I’ll host the Friday linky for as long as there are guest entries to link. How long you play in your own blog depends on how many people you ask to guest post for you. Simple mathematics, yo. Or something like that.

3. You may have favorite bloggers who list you on their favorites list as well. That’s ok; you can swap guest entries if you like.

So in summary: do minimal work. Use the button. Sign the linky. Eat bon-bons. Everything kicks off the week of January 11th.

Got it?

Still have questions? Ask in the comments!

Otherwise, look for my first guest post to debut here in a few weeks, and be contacting your own favorites list about playing along!



*If you’re on my favorites list and I didn’t contact you about being a guest blogger, it’s not because I don’t love you and routinely stalk you. It’s because I couldn’t find an email address for you! Feel free to remedy the situation!
blog comments powered by Disqus