Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Open Letter To...Tuesday






If you have your own Open Letter you're itching to write, snag the button above and attach it to your own post!


Open Letter to Mrs. A:

Please keep Calvin in from recess today. Act now, ask questions later. Trust me. It's for the best.

Sincerely, his traitor of a mother.




My middle son is a perpetual mystery to me.

Remember his run-in with a lollipop? Yeah, he hasn’t become less short-tempered in the time since that incident, despite nearly a year's worth of maturity and his karate instructors drilling him in the Eastern philosophy of 'mind over body' and 'think before do'.

Calvin’s more of a 'face problems head on' kinda guy, if you know what I mean. Oh, and the less discussion, the better.

Case in point: a certain child who will remain nameless has been picking on his best friend at school. Said friend’s mother and I were hashing over the issue on the phone the other afternoon when Calvin requested the phone.

“I want to talk to (best friend),” Cal said, so I handed it over. I was pleased, to be honest. Calvin’s not generally a fan of expressing feelings verbally or extending outward sympathy. (I feel for his future wife, I really do.)

The following is the one-sided conversation (verbatim) as I heard it:

“So…it kinda hurts your feelings when (nameless kid) tells you to shut-up?”

“Well, what are we going to do about it?”

“It’d have to be after school.”

“But it’s hard to get him alone.”

“Well, one of us has to do it.”

“Not suspended, I don’t think…Mrs. A likes me.”

Annnnd I grab the phone back.

After I hang up, I approach him to discuss how we can problem-solve the issue. Clearly some damage control is in order. For a moment he looks at me completely blankly, then sort of shrugs. He bends back down over his homework, his face an unconcerned mask of Zen. "Mom, it’s handled."

I’m scared.
blog comments powered by Disqus