Tuesday, November 24, 2009

If All the World Were Made of Sugar...

and very, very tiny...

I think I'd like to live here, in this Bravarian village:



Because I'm a sucker for things in miniature. Mini-doughnuts, mini-golf, mini-muffins, miniature cities at Legoland, miniature battles set up in museums, mini-cameras I can hold in the palm of my hand. Bring it. I don't know why this is, but it's been a lifelong affair. When I was about 12, I went to a dollhouse show (random, yes?) and became enamored with all the tiny little teapots set on the tiny little tables in the tiny little kitchens of the tiny little people. And the tiny little curtains in the tiny little windows and the tiny little quilts on the tiny little beds. You get the picture. Tiny. Of course, I have the patience of a kid on Christmas Eve combined with the grace of Harry Potter's Grawp, so building my own dollhouse full of tiny food and tiny furniture didn't quite work out.

Ahem. Anyway. This is all to explain why I have a soft spot for our annual Gingerbread Jubilee. Everything you see is made of 100% edible items. And most of them are made by (patient) children. Just one rule: no touching. Also, no sniffing so closely that you accidentally touch. You know, with your nose. We forgot that one a couple times.



Some of you gourmet fruit gurus may recognize the Harry and David truck lurking behind Toby.
Yes, we live in Harry and David country.



Penguins. Always a crowd pleaser. The igloo? Frosted Mini-Wheats.



Santa's Village. Note the powered sugar rooftops. I didn't capture this in the photo, but the reindeer to the far left is holding a sign that reads, "Marry me." Why? We don't know. There's a backstory there, but we're not privy to it.




Sledding. Into an ice cream cone tree.



Exterior view of a country schoolhouse. Note the tiny little garlands.



Ariel view of the interior. Farm animals seem to be seated at the desks.
Another entry with exposition left wanting.



The Up house! It was much more impressive in person.



Snowmen roasting marshmallows. The roof is lined with Twizzlers.
As Liz Lemon would say, "I want to go to there."

Have a good Thanksgiving! Be sure to check out other photo entries at Wordful Wednesday hosted by Seven Clown Circus!
blog comments powered by Disqus