Friday, November 13, 2009

The Finer Things

You know Christmas is coming when the Peppermint Mocha Coffee Mate hits the shelves.

And the Pumpkin Pie Blizzards hit Dairy Queen. I’ve never actually had one of those, but it’s nice just to know they’re there.

It’ll surprise no one that I’m not much of a cook, but I am learning, slowly. This blog, in particular, is teaching me the domestic arts, one baby step at a time. More importantly, it’s teaching me an appreciation of the domestic arts. They introduced me to this cinnamon roll recipe which I can’t stop talking about, for one. I made them yesterday, and since I was doing a double batch and have learned from past experience that I tend to wipe my floury hands on my jeans a lot when wrestling the dough, I donned an apron. Yeah, an apron. I found it, hopelessly wrinkled, at the bottom of a cupboard. Who knew? Toby took one look at me and asked, “What’s that?”

Of course, he asked the same question when he spotted an ironing board at Grandma’s house.

But as I’ve made a commitment to buying more whole and local foods as part of my experience writing at 5 Minutes for Going Green (see how I plugged that?) I’ve discovered a host of side benefits. One is that I bake and cook more often. I mean, I have to. That block of tofu just doesn’t look terribly appetizing in the raw. Nor does the oatmeal and wheat flour and farmer’s market pears. Well, the pears do, but I digress. When I bake and cook more often, I find myself at home more often, which is, more often than not, precisely where my kids want to be.

And when my kids are home, instead of rushing from sport to sport to class to class, they do this amazing, organic, happy thing that only kids can do where they create their own agenda on long-shadowed or rainy afternoons. Some people call it imaginative expression or even unschooling. Here, we call it getting out sheets of paper and tape and printing out maps of the world to dominate each other using buttons and paper clips and pink erasers. They don’t know that this game has already been invented, and that it’s called Risk. And that it’s probably available for the Wii by now.

They just know that they’re home on a rare afternoon and that Mom is in the kitchen making the house smell like yeasty goodness while wearing that weird backward cape thingy.

And since I don’t often give myself permission to simply enjoy these little pleasures of a day, I’m trying to learn not only how to bake, but how to enjoy the finer things in life as they come…wrapped like little gifts deposited along my path in the form of Peppermint Mocha Coffee Mate and cinnamon rolls.

This post was inspired by Finer Things Friday.

And while I have you here, one quick bit of old business: you may have noticed I've dropped the 'blogspot' from my URL. It's now just www.nevertruetales.com. Blogger should redirect you seamlessly, but you know how things things go...it might take a few days to properly sort out. In the meantime, if you have the site bookmarked, you might want to update it.
blog comments powered by Disqus