Tuesday, November 17, 2009

And the Mom of the Year Award Goes to...

Probably not my friend Laura. At least not on this particular day.



But all the same: is this not the best photo you've seen in a long, long time?

Now, you should know two things. Firstly, this photo has been used with her permission (although you'll  notice I'm not using last names). Secondly, I can vouch for the fact that Laura is an excellent mother and an all round rocking person. (Laura's darling daughter is currently undecided.)

But this could happen to anyone.

No really, it could. Anyone. In fact, I'd be willing to bet it's happened to you. I know it's happened to me. I can distinctly remember trying to coax my 18-month-old into a public swimming pool for swim lessons so that we could do the Mommy and Me Tug Boat Class together while he screamed in protest. My 18-month-old. And my only defense was that at the time, I was sure he'd love it, if only he'd allow me to submerge him baptismal style and learn to blow bubbles like a fishy.

And that sounds insane, and I know it does. But you know exactly what I'm talking about, don't you? Because we have this awesome responsibility as parents, and it makes us go a little batty. For the first handful of years of our children's lives, we are, essentially, their window to the world. (Even when, arguably, we should more often be the gatekeepers.) Every single day, we shoulder the task of introducing them to the culture, religion, and refinement that we hold in our esteem. And so if they're going to experience something, like say, the joy of Bert and Ernie, it's up to us to provide it.

So kids? You're welcome. 

This post was inspired by Wordful Wednesday at Seven Clown Circus.
blog comments powered by Disqus