Saturday, October 24, 2009

Release Party

You know what I hate?

When you follow a new contact on Twitter for two weeks because you think she might be that chick from What Not to Wear, only to realize she’s a WAHM named Trixie who makes cloth diapers called SnuggleBums.

Waste. Of. Time.

In other news, I’m not the scariest mommy. Maybe that’s actually a good thing? But the winning post is excellent. Drop by and have a read!

Last Monday we spent our afternoon at our Borders’ Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Dog Days) release party, where Toby managed to whine so much about the unfairness of not yet being able to read that the employees started thrusting prizes into his hands just to keep the peace. Atta boy.

And Calvin did one of his patented shut-downs, where he went completely mute throughout the trivia questions, even though I knew he knew the answers. This sort of behavior? Drives me crazy. But I resisted the urge to become a stage mom at a freaking Wimpy Kids party, and did not give him the answers in a harsh whisper.

Even though I wanted to.

Nate was too cool for Wimpy Kid (though I notice he’s since devoured the new book) and chose to spend his bookstore time wandering the isles with his (equally too cool) buddy. I found them huddled behind the Next Top Model Illustrated Guide, or something equally compelling to ten-year-old boys.

But I can’t talk, because I was busily flipping through the New Moon Movie Companion, full of glossy shots of pretty people. I was so engrossed that I didn’t notice Toby plastering himself with Dog Days tattoos. Then I discovered that the new Post Secret book already came out, and that there were only two copies left of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. (I’m in the library queue for that, Patty!)

But all this bookstore time reminded me that I haven’t updated you all on The Novel that Won’t Die in a while. Believe it or not, it still isn’t dead. (I know…I’m often equally dismayed.) I had a particularly difficult rejection on it only a week ago actually (difficult in that it was another almost yes). And just this week, I was fortunate to have a fellow writing friend whom I respect greatly read it all the way through. (Seriously, she read the entire humungous manuscript in a matter of days, which is a good sign, yes?) She gave me valuable feedback, and, incidentally, became the third person to tell me it would make for a good movie. So now I really need to take a crash course in adapting screenplays. But she gave me some concrete structural ideas, too, so I think I’ll be back to working on it daily again. I have mixed feelings about this. (So will my family.)

I’ve also recently finished a short children’s story, and will be buckling down to shop that to agents in the coming weeks. Oh, and I’ve written a piece of short (5000 word) fiction geared to adults on a subject I found difficult to write about (and certainly difficult to research): Shaken Baby Syndrome. A few of you have read it, which is an honor.

So that’s what I’ve been up to, in-between blogging and eco-blogging and travel blogging. (Do I perhaps blog too much? Would I perhaps get more done if I didn't?) A question for another day. In the meantime, I really should go be the bad guy (scary mommy?) and turn off the Wii, forcing my children into the beautiful fall sunshine.
blog comments powered by Disqus