Sunday, January 25, 2009

Word of Mouth

I wouldn’t say I’m overly fond of raindrops on roses or whiskers on kittens, but I do think it would be fun to share some of my favorite things…web-based things, that is. Some of these sites are helpful, some informative, and some are just plain fun. I always love a good recommendation, so if you know of something fabulous under some proverbial rock of the internet I have yet to overturn, by all means, point me to it. As you can see from the list below, I have quite eclectic tastes.

My top ten favorite websites of the moment, in no particular order:

Fake Plastic Fish

This one is already highlighted in my right margin, but is worth repeating here. Documenting one person’s attempt to vastly reduce the amount of plastic she consumes, Fake Plastic Fish will make you rethink you relationship with everything from water bottles to baby toys. This is relevant environmentalism at its best.

The Best Parent Ever

Find out all the ways in which The Best Parent Ever is better than you. A decidedly un-P.C. and unapologetic (and therefore hilarious) look at parenthood.

Catherine Newman Wondertime

I’ve been following Catherine Newman’s blog for years, and now, she’s at Wondertime. Currently, they have her going through a series on food and recipes, which you’d think would be, well, bland, but instead, it’s often delightful and poignant and funny. Oh, and my kids give the Soy Glazed Tofu two thumbs up (and they are very stingy with their approval).

PostSecret

This site is on the brain because I wrote about it recently at Reflectology, but there’s no need to read that first. PostSecret’s unique concept of secret-telling made into an art form speaks for itself. (Not G-rated.)

Guide to Literary Agents

With something like 4,874,495 literary agents in the free world, this site can help you writers out there narrow down who is best for you and your work. If anyone knows of a better one, send it my way, ok?

Television Without Pity

If you like TV perhaps a bit too much, and more importantly, like grumbling about improbable plotlines and gushing about favorite characters, and perhaps your spouse/partner/best friend/dog is getting sick of hearing about it, Television Without Pity is for you. I recommend the recaps (go straight to your favorite show and brace yourself for the snark).

Good Search

If you’re like me, Googling is a verb…and your default engine when seeking the answer to any question. If you can break yourself of the habit, however, try Good Search instead. You’ll still be able to find that recipe/print those directions/prove to your spouse that yes, insert-celebrity-here is pregnant again, but a portion of every search goes to the charity of your choice. Cool.

The Smoking Gun

There are days when The Smoking Gun is my only source of news. Oh, and sometimes Saturday Night Live. That’s scary, people.

Cozi.com

I love this little calendar because it organizes your whole life and even color-codes your kids. Now instead of three calendars, two soccer schedules, and the preschool snack list on my fridge (and more random pieces of paper all over my counter), everywhere I need to be for the next year is in one shiny place. Of course, if I lose my password, I’m pretty much dead in the water.

Plugged In Online

This is a great movie review site for parents. It‘s run by Focus on the Family, which honestly I can be a bit meh about, but I’ve found it to be very detailed, which is helpful if you have a kid who can’t watch aliens but loves monsters (not always divided into separate genres as they should be) or if you are lax about violence but strict about language, or vice versa. I check it before taking my kids to most the movies we see.

So there you have it, my ten faves of the day, for what it’s worth. Now. How do you waste YOUR time online? What do you recommend?
blog comments powered by Disqus